A few weeks ago, I asked my facebook friends for suggestions for going "clean...." meaning eating less artificial food, hormone-laden food, and generally just healthier food. I got a lot of great suggestions, but also realized that over the last year or two, we have actually made several changes that will hopefully better our overall health. I wanted to share a few of our changes with you; I am working on my challenger for cleaner living, hoping to make one change a month this year.
Here are a few things that we have changed in the last couple of years:
1) Replaced fruit snacks with raisins
2) Replaced white bread (and even wheat bread) with 100% whole grain wheat bread
3) I have learned to make my own laundry detergent (while not necessarily something we eat-YUCK-it is just another way to get rid of "fillers" and get back to basics-plus it is much cheaper-basically soap, borax, washing soda, and baking soda)
4) Replaced ground beef with ground turkey
5) Replacing those packets of instant oatmeal with quick oats and whatever toppings I can find (usually apples or raisins and cinnamon); Still microwaves in 1.5 min.
6)Replacing canned veggies with frozen veggies (there is basically no nutritional value in canned veggies after all the steaming)
7) Replacing white rice with brown rice
8) CROCK POT MEALS-not necessarily healthier on its own, but definitely makes creating "homemade" meals much easier
9) Did you know vinegar, Dawn, and salt can clean just about anything?
The one thing I just can't give up? Diet Dr. Pepper
The change for February? We didn't give candy in our Valentine's, just the plain ole' Valentine. OK, so maybe that was more laziness on my part, but every little bit helps!
Do you have any goals for cleaner living this year? Please share!