Thursday, March 12, 2009

My boy can eat!

Spencer is an eating machine! Last night and tonight, he chowed down on a 3 course meal of avocados, sweet potatoes, and oatemal! He loves eating. He's not sure about avocados-he kind of screws up his face like it is sour or he doesn't like the texture, but he will still eat it. I think it just isn't as good as sweet potatoes.

I tried my hand at making sweet potatoes for the first time this week! Here is what I did:

1 lb. of sweet potatoes,
peel them,
cube them,
steamed them for about 10-12 minutes.

Then, I used an immersion blender to blend them and added a little of the steaming water to thin it out (but not completely). when I go to fix the sweet potatoes, I add about 1/2 oz milk to make it thinner and warm it up in the microwave for about 7-10 seconds (be sure to stir well afterwards to get out any hot spots).

I think it will make about 7 2-oz. portions (and only cost about $1.00).
That is a pretty good savings over buying 2 2-oz. containers for $1.00.

I froze them in ice cube trays (saving the first two meals out). This morning, I took them out of the trays and put two cubes each in old gerber food containers that I had the day care save for me. I put them back in the deep freeze, and we will see if they are air tight enough to keep out freezer burn for a few days. If spencer eats 2 containers a day, the total amount I made will last for 3-4 days.

To the avocados, I take about half and blend it, then add about 1/2 oz. milk. He can eat almost 1/2 an avocado per meal, and finish off the rest for breakfast (since it isn't his favorite), so the 3 avocados I bought for $2.00 should last about 4-5 days. Not bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment